Makes 2-3 servings, adapted from http://www.choosingraw.com
Made for a WAPF potluck and thoroughly enjoyed by all!
- 6-7 Tbsp chia seeds (more seeds will give a thicker texture)
- 1 cup frozen or regular strawberries
- 1 3/4 cups almond milk (or any homemade nut milk of choice)
- 3/4 tsp ginger powder or ½ tsp ginger powder and 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 -4 pitted, soaked dates OR 1 tbsp maple syrup OR stevia to taste
Blend the strawberries, milk, ginger, and sweetener together on high till smooth. You should have about 2 1/4 cups liquid. Pour this amount (not more: if you have more than 2 1/4 cups, just sip the extra, and if you end up with less, add a little almond milk to the mix) over the chia seeds, and stir every couple of minutes. Let sit for a few hours or overnight: the chia will soak up the liquid and take on a perfect pudding texture.
*To make nut milk: Put a scant cup of almonds (or other nut of choice) in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Strain the soaked nuts and rinse them. Place nuts in blender with about 3 cups of water. Grind them entirely, and pour into a fine mesh strainer, or a cloth-lined one if you don’t have the mesh one. Press or squeeze the solids until they are as dry as you can get them. You should have about 2 1/2 cups of nut milk, maybe a little more.