makes 6 servings
- 1lb grassfed ground beef
- 2 Tbsp butter from grassfed cows
- 1 small organic onion
- 1 clove organic garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup green or red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup organic peas (optional)
- ½ -1 cup lacto-fermented ketchup (use a full cup if you want a soupier consistency to the Sloppy Joe)
Melt butter in frying pan on medium-high heat. Add onion finely chopped and cook until it begins to caramelize (5-10 mins).
Add crushed garlic, carrots and celery, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly – stir intermittently for 5+ minutes to cook vegetables. Can cover the pan at this point to help cook the vegetables.
Add ground beef, mixing in as you go to be sure it doesn’t clump in the heat. Stir continuously for 5 minutes to ensure meat mixes evenly with vegetables and begins to simmer uniformly across the whole pan.
Add peppers and optional peas and reduce heat to medium-low for 5 minutes to finish cooking all meat.
Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for a few minutes to cool slightly.
Stir in lacto-fermented ketchup and mix thoroughly. Make sure the pan is off the heat – allow to sit for 5 minutes more while still warm but not hot to mix the flavors.
Serve immediately over sourdough buns or alone as desired.