#1 Easy Roast Chicken from www.nourishedkitchen.com
Dressing a pasture-raised bird with minimal ingredients enables its rich flavor to shine. Slow-roasting ensures that the bird is fall-apart tender. Good food takes good time and while the hours you spend tenderly slow-roasting the bird are long, the active time in the kitchen is minimal.
Easy Roast Chicken: Ingredients
- one 3 to 5 pound pasture-raised chicken
- about 2 tablespoons unrefined extra virgin olive oil
- generous dash unrefined sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh chicken broth or white wine
Easy Roast Chicken: Equipment
- 100% cotton cooking twine
- lidded clay baker OR baking dish and aluminum foil
Easy Roast Chicken: Method
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry before trussing it with 100% cotton cooking twine.
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and sprinkle the bird generously with unrefined sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the trussed and dressed chicken into a clay baker or baking dish, adding 1/2 cup stock or white wine to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and roast the chicken, covered, for about three hours.
- Increase the heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and continue roasting for about thirty to forty-five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bird to rest five to ten minutes before carving and serving.
- Save the chicken’s frame to make roast chicken stock.
YIELD: about 4 to six servings.
TIME: about 5 minutes (preparation), 3 to 4 hours (cook time)
NOTE: Poultry is done when the meat registers an internal temperature of about 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
#2 Roast Chicken:
- 1 whole chicken, pastured-raised, ~ 3-5 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon
- 2 onions, cut in half moon slices
- 3-5 heads garlic
- 6 Tbsp coconut oil
- Dried sage
- optional: sliced potatoes, carrots
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Remove packet of chicken giblets and rinse chicken inside and out. Place chicken in a roasting pan or 9×13 glass baking pan and pat all over with paper towel to dry.
Generously salt and pepper inside of chicken. Stuff with a few sprigs of the rosemary, 2 lemon halves, and 2 garlic halves. Can close the opening with a metal skewer. Brush outside all over with melted coconut oil. . Place the remaining garlic halves around the chicken, along with any sliced vegetables (onion, potatoes, carrots). Season with salt, pepper, sage to taste
Put dressed chicken in oven, and turn down temperature to 375 degrees. Roast chicken for approximately 1 1/2 hours, basting with pan juices every now and then once it is halfway through cooking. (Takes about 20 minutes per pound of chicken). If you have more time, can roast the chicken at a lower temperature for a longer time to make a more tender baked chicken. Meat is done when the internal temperature is ~180 degrees.